2/09/2006

Military-good or bad?

If you have someone in the military, you already know what kind of life they bring home.
I really do not talk much about my husband's career at all, which is best if I did not. These days however bring unhappiness that surrounds his schedule with work. This also affects my schedule as well. For some who do not understand mid-shift is short for the graveyard shift. Work usually begins either at 11pm or 12pm and does not end until 7 or 8 am. When he gets home he mostly goes straight to bed and sleeps until 5pm. Some days he will come in and stay up some either watching TV or work on the computers.
The tricky part is spending times with him. I have a full time job as well; however I am on days. Normal hours for me last 8am till 5pm, except on Fridays it is till 3pm. Regularly, I wake him at 5 so that we can eat and do something together until he starts to get ready for work at 10pm. Most of this time it is about sacrificing my free time or hobby time to spend it with him. I don’t look at it as a bad thing; it’s just a time of less activity in something I really enjoy doing. Yes, it really does make me feel depressed often, I am hoping for the better when this schedule is over. I have heard recently he will soon be off the mid-shift by the 18th of this month of February. The next thing we hope to hear is good news that we get to leave Louisiana and to a different base. That would be great! I look at is if you love him enough you have to stick with him. It would go the other way as well. I’m just trying to be there and support him. When he comes home or wakes up, I will have at least made him dinner and ready to spend time with that person. Even some nights he will go into the computer room to watch one of his shows, those are the nights he tells me to relax and join him or take some free time. The moral of this story love goes a long way. Stick to the ones who have it rougher than you and just be there for them, even if takes away some of your free time. Besides when that type of schedule is over, you will soon be able to enjoy time together so much, you will want space away!

No comments: