4/25/2009

Saturday Adventure

It was almost 11am when I left this morning out of town. I took a map that was printed out a while back to find my way to find the so called Chumash Indian Rock Art Cave in the Santa Barbara mountains. I've been putting it off for a while now and decided this was going to be the day!
Honestly, it was not a long trip. I think I found it in about an hour. It is some what high on a side of a mountain and the road is only big enough for one car. I will be posting pictures of the place as soon they load up from the camera. When I was there a group of students from an Archaeology class was taking place. Been there, done that! Mr. Robinson was my teacher and he taught well for an old perverted man. (No offense) He's a cool guy.
The art was a small hike up the side off the road and nestled inside a cave. There was also two more drawings that were outside of the cave and higher up on the side of the cliff.
After this, I headed back towards Solvang on the 154 going North. I noticed a sign for Cachuma Lake and Campgrounds, so I pulled over and checked it out. The place is pretty large. They have many full pull ins for RVs and have areas for tents and those tepee tents too. They also have a pool and lot of activities to do! I could only spend 15 min in the park and had to leave or else I would have been charged 8 dollars for a day use pass.

After that, I went into Solvang, parked and walked around. There were many shops! The Dutch Village has a lot to offer any type of shopper. I even saw performers dressed up as gypsy bellydancers giving a show and a small car show off to the side. I ate a light lunch at the Belgain Cafe and found an awesome antique store that was two stories high. I picked up an old 1908 postcard that had a Franklin perforated postal stamp on it. I was hoping it was the one that was worth $50 but after looking it was only worth 15 cents. I kept it anyway. There was a superb bookstore and lots of niknak things. I picked up something for my mother in law and my mom.
I did check out a Cheese and Chocolate shop. I was very tempted to pick up some real Danish Gouda. After about shopping and walking around for about 2-3 hours, I walked over to the Santa Inez Mission dated 1802. I took several pictures around it but they do not allow flash inside the building. I did not get to go inside the church area since Mass was about the start at 5.
I left at 5 so I could get back on time to get dinner started. It was nice. Randy grilled up the steak for me while I fixed up some broccoli.
I'm looking forward to next weekend!

No comments: